Thursday, November 15, 2007

Anti-Cap Christians? Hallelujah!

Normally I don't have a lot of time for your typical Christian, instead I feel much like Jesus in the temple with the money changers. (lots of frothing at the mouth going on). So i was pleasantly surprised when I came across The Church of Stop Shopping. Finally some Christians who seem like they've actually read the bible. After all, didn't Jesus say "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven". Which is why I particularly love this Reverends anti-consumerist message. Here is the article I particularly liked, and if fact, I think it's time we started to see street theatre in Australia. Enjoy.

Here I am at Zombie-con last Saturday. 100 of us went on a bloody disgusting rampage of NYC. Bloomingdales was our first stop. We entered the mega store groaning and limping, arms outstretched in search of brains. Gaylen and I inserted blood capsules into our mouths at the escalators and drooled in close proximity to the stunned costumers. Some people, especially the workers, were smiling and I suddenly worried that we were entertainment, endorsing this company with our playful antics. But then I saw what was really happening around us; People had stopped shopping! The were staring at us, interacting with us, looking at the fellow living and wondering what the hell was going on. Near the makeup counter I yelled out to a group of them in my lowest, freakiest voice, “I NEED A FACIAL!” Laughter erupted from the living and the undead. I was proud. I called the Reverend to tell him of our successes in the first mall reminding him of his call to the congregation to, “Disturb the customer!” We continued on to many stores that day. The Disney store was my favorite. Screaming children and little creepy dolly eyes surrounding the rampage. One mother hid her child’s eyes as I posed for a picture with Mickey’s hand on my crotch.


To continue reading the article from The church of Stop Shopping click here

Dont forget to check out the youtube video of Reverend Bill and his followers in starbucks.



But if you want a really good belly chuckle, check out my favourite comedian George Carlin.... on materialism and consumerism... "The table is tilted folks, the game is rigged" and "nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care", "it's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it!"



No comments: